Archive for 'Tourism & Transportation'
Issue: May 2013 by Heather Carey.
Music pulsates from Riverfront Park in downtown Lynchburg as the murmur of voices fills the air. As guests get closer to the sound, they can feel the beat of the bass, hear the strains of the song and smell some spicy food that isn’t immediately recognizable—much like the popular song that’s now playing with a [...]
Issue: April 2013 by Drew Menard.
For all anyone knows, Rucker Tibbs has oil in his veins and wings on his back. Though his flesh betrays this notion, his spirit is certainly not grounded like the rest of his body and his resumé calls into question whether he bleeds like normal folks. At 89 (90 on September 19), the retired WWII [...]
Issue: March 2013 by Kip Rudge.
While radio is the medium of choice for dance tunes, political wrangling and the Emergency Broadcast System, not many would include economic development as a reason to twist the dial. That may be changing in Altavista. Altavista’s fledgling economic development department has taken to the airwaves in an effort to get the department’s activities on [...]
Issue: February 2013 by Hilary Sutton.
Did you know that only five transportation coffins are still in existence from the Civil War? And did you know that one of them is on display in the Hill City? The National Civil War Chaplains Museum, located on Campus East of Liberty University, may just be one of Lynchburg’s best kept secrets—and not just [...]
Issue: January 2013 by Marcelo Quarantotto, Jr..
When the unthinkable happens, we see all kinds of people rally together to bring much-needed aid to an affected area—like with Superstorm Sandy. Even two months after the fact, you still can see commercials and news stories that keep everyone up to speed on what still needs to be done to help people in New [...]
Issue: December 2012 by Drew Menard.
After nearly $1.3 million and six years of planning and applications, hard work and obstacles, the Brookneal Downtown Revitalization Project has finally been completed. This major feat was the collaborative effort of Brookneal property and business owners, town council, citizens and Virginia’s Region 2000 Local Government Council. In the wake of textile and furniture industry [...]
Issue: November 2012 by Marcelo Quarantotto, Jr..
Hill City residents have heard it so many times that it’s nearly a mantra: “There’s nothing to do in Lynchburg.” Some would disagree, however, specifically the James River Council for the Arts and Humanities and the Lynchburg Office of Economic Development. The two organizations, in collaboration with the Lynchburg City Council, were recently awarded about [...]
Issue: October 2012 by Marcelo Quarantotto, Jr..
There is a joke that starts off by saying 70 percent of people are driving drunk during the late evening hours on any given Friday and into early Saturday morning. The punch line? The other 30 percent are at home sleeping. There is no question that drunk driving is a problem in many cities. People [...]
Issue: September 2012 by Amanda Sullivan.
For almost 50 years, the City of Lynchburg’s current chamber building has been at its current location. And, as of about 10 years ago, the city owns the building free and clear. However, the city’s growth and the natural wear and tear on aging buildings has taken a toll on the establishment, urging the current [...]
Issue: August 2012 by Heather Cravens.
Built in 1814 at the foot of the mountains in Nelson County, Pharsalia Plantation is rich with history, stunning views and elegant gardens. This historic property was built as a wedding gift for William Massie of Virginia, and his young bride when he was just 18 years old. For current owners Foxie and Richard Morgan, [...]